Is Paypal protecting scammers?

Erken_kz
Contributor
Contributor

I was selling a digital product so I cannot take advantage of the protection of the seller. The buyer asked for mediation services for the purchase of the "gold of the game" on G2G as he could not get access there. He sent me the money, and after I bought the product and handed it to him, he immediately started disput. He told me that this system of paypal was guilty and he would solve the problem. But it was a lie. I wrote a letter to the PayPal service and attached screenshots of our conversations with the fraudster, but the service ignored this and returned the money to the fraudster. This is the service of protecting honest users of paypal Screenshots of evidence -  <removed>

I have already accepted that I lost 223 dollars, but I want the payal to punish the scammer Puckett <removed> they helped.

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Erken_kz 

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, but as you had 0 seller protection in the first place and 'took the risk' yourself then you were not reimbursed.
The system warns you IF you bother to read up on the section on seller protection before you start selling on paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Erken_kz
Contributor
Contributor

OK, but can PayPal ask the account owner if his account was hacked, or maybe his relative (child) illegally used the account?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Erken_kz 

What is Seller Protection?

Seller Protection protects you from claims, chargebacks or reversals that are a result of unauthorized purchases or items your buyer didn’t receive. With PayPal Seller Protection, you are protected for the full amount of all eligible transactions.

If a transaction is eligible for Seller Protection, it will be marked as "eligible" or "partially eligible" on the 'Transaction Details' page. If marked as "partially eligible", it is only protected for items that a buyer did not receive.

If your transaction is marked as "eligible" or "partially eligible", you must also meet the following requirements to receive Seller Protection:

• Ship the item to the address on the 'Transaction Details Page'.
  • Ship the item within 7 days after receiving the payment. 
  • Provide proof of delivery (online tracking to confirm delivery is required). 
  • Respond to our requests for documentation and other information.
  •  

Intangible items, including digital items and services, are not covered under PayPal Seller Protection.

https://www.paypal.com/mx/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Erken_kz 

They would have checked IP address / devices before deciding it was unauthorised.

Unfortunately if the buyer did use another device or IP address then there is no way to definitively prove that he was a scammer, although I agree with you that this is a frequent scam in the high risk goods that you sell.

In my opinion select another payment processor that is less risky for you.

I wouldn't use paypal for virtual/digital sales OR items that were collected etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Erken_kz
Contributor
Contributor

Well, in principle, everything is clear - Paypal does not care if the fraudster deceives the seller of digital technologies in the 21st century.

Login to Me Too

Erken_kz
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you are right - you need to use other payment platforms, but unfortunately many online stores such as E-Bay use only the PayPal system. Nevertheless, thank you for your advice and advice.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.