I sold an item in person and now he opened a dispute 😢

adi_adriano21
New Community Member
Hello PayPal! I have a very big problem! I sold an item (mobile phone) to the customer on Gumtree! He said is leaving in USA but have a friend in Hull who can collect the item. I asked him why he does not pay his friend in bank account and his friend will give me the money cash but he said isn't had any bank accounts in UK. He make a payment on PayPal and he sent me a screen shot with item received. After few days he provided a case on PayPal but he collected the phone in person! I have images of the cctv, screenshots from my discussion on Gumtree, his phone number. Please help me because is lot of money for me! 😢
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@adi_adriano21 

What kind of dispute they file? Item Not Received or Significantly Not As Described? If the phone was picked up, they can't file or will lose an Item Not Received claim because that's not covered by purchase protection. If buyer file Significantly Not As Described claim, at worst you will lose but item will have to be returned before a refund is issued. If buyer fails to return item as requested by PayPal, you will win the claim. Although, it may not stop the buyer from filing a chargeback or a bank reversal from their financial institution.

These will be the possible outcomes should you escalate the case to PayPal to step in and make a ruling.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

adi_adriano21
New Community Member
Thank you very much for your reply. He opened the case like Item not received!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.