I got scammed.

Liyaun
Contributor
Contributor

An eBay buyer reached out to me around mid-September because they were interested in my item. Spoof emails were sent to me saying I have recieved payment from the buyer even though they didnt pay. The item has already been shipped to them since I thought its gonna take like 7 days for payment to be recieved since it was on hold even though the pending payment wasnt even on my PayPal( I know, stupid of me)  so I just shipped it without thinking much. I reached out to eBay and they sent me an email but when I go to Messages Centre to check out their reply, it wasnt even there. I called them and that didnt help as well because I was just talking to a bot and could not get an actual person to help me with my issue. What would be my best course of action?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Liyaun 

SCAM.

Sadly if the transaction was not done using Ebays or Paypals site then there is nothing that they can do for you.

Common scam and works like this...............

They may buy on Ebay but they use an anonymous or hijacked Ebay account and DO NOT have a Paypal account so they can't use Ebay checkout.
They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal payments are instant, even if pending they will still show in your paypal balance but have pending by them.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Liyaun
Contributor
Contributor
Is it possible to at least get my money back for the postage cost?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Liyaun 

Sadly not as you paid for the service of sending an item which you sent.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.