I believe I’m being scammed ?

Issacrivera14
New Community Member
I wanted to ask everyone about being scammed, I believe I’m being scammed. I’m not sure but I did a Facebook purchase I sold a phone and shipped it out to the buyer. Immediately after I received an email from PayPal asking to upload the shipping receipt and I did, and after the email told me to upgrade to a business account as my limit didn’t allow me to receive funds, and after I did that it said to refund 200$ from my personal account and send it to a PayPal representative and take a screenshot and upload it immediately. Does that sound like a scam or is it legit ? I have pictures and everything.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Issacrivera14 

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a direct Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails may go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Once you have become a victim they may try again with more fake Paypal emails with other reasons that you must send them a payment for custom fees / to verify, expand or upgrade an account.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to send money to receive money or for any account issue reasons.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Taylor_vantreas
New Community Member
That's exactly what happened to me except mine sale was of a 1200 engagement ring. And now I don't know what to do I really needed that money and I can't get anyone to help me with it . I already shipped it and everything iv been freaking out because that was the only way for me to get any income for the next month .
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Taylor_vantreas 

Sadly if you can't divert the item back to you then no one on here can help you as none of the transaction was done using paypals site.

You responded to fake paypal emails etc unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.