How to protect against disputed charges

johncroc
Contributor
Contributor

We generally sell services and invoice them through Paypal, but we've got a couple of tangible items we're trying to sell on Craigslist.  One potential buyer wants to know if he can use his credit card.  We could send him a Paypal invoice which he could then pay by credit card, but what if he takes the stuff home and then disputes the charge with his CC company.  How do we protect ourselves against this possible outcome?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@johncroc 

Sadly you can't, there is no paypal seller protection for virtual / digital items, you can sell them but at your own risk.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

johncroc
Contributor
Contributor

We're not selling "virtual/digital" items.  My question is about chargebacks on tangible items.  Things the customer would load in their car and drive away with.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@johncroc 

ok read services and thought that was what you were selling.

Anyway if the buyer is personally collecting the item then again seller protection does not cover you.

Only items sent trackable in the post are covered.

You need to go and read up on seller protection in your user agreement and then risk assess your transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

johncroc
Contributor
Contributor

I think maybe a rephrase of my question is in order:
If I sell a tangible item to a customer, I want to be sure I'm as protected as I can be if that customer initiates a chargeback through their credit card issuer.  What documentation would I need (e.g. customer signature on bill of sale, etc.) to successfully dispute the chargeback?

Since these are face-to-face transactions I could conceivably ask the customer to sign almost anything.  Would an "All Sales Are Final" or "Customer Accepts Item in As-Is Condition" contract be helpful?  Maybe more to the point, what do the credit card issuers look for when they are making a decision about a disputed chargeback? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@johncroc 

Same answer, there is NO paypal seller protection for items personally collected or delivered.

Same answer, you need to read up on that seller protection to risk assess your own transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

johncroc
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

I don't think we're on the same page.  You seem to be answering the question, "What protection does Paypal offer when I conduct a face-to-face transaction while selling a tangible item?"  That is not my question.

My question is, "When I send an invoice to a customer and they pay via credit card, what documentation will help protect me if that customer initiates a charge dispute through their credit card issuer?"

I'm sorry I cannot upvote your answer, because it was non-responsive to my question.  My question has become moot as the buyer backed out of the purchase and it is unlikely the next buyer will want to use a credit card.  Even if they do, since I was unable to find help for my question, it is likely I will simply refuse to take any form of payment other than cash.  Thank you for the time you took in your effort to answer the question you believed I was asking - much appreciated.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.