How to avoid false chargeback claims from a buyer when selling digital goods

dkali1
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any way to avoid false chargeback claims when selling digital items? I found some buyers misuse PayPal buyer's protection.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dkali1 

Can't avoid it unless you have a way to convince PayPal that digital goods was downloaded, like recorded IP address or the way you have PayPal integrated that passes session information.

Intangible items additional requirements

To be eligible for PayPal’s Seller Protection on an intangible item, you must:

• Ensure you are utilising a current version of PayPal Express Checkout if you are accepting payments directly via a website or mobile optimised website; or
  • Ensure you are passing session information to PayPal at checkout if you are integrated with PayPal via a third party or if you have a native app integration.

Other integration requirements may apply depending on your business model.  Visit https://developer.paypal.com for more information.

Here are the Seller Protection terms for you to read. The buyer protection program based on buyer location also applies to you as a seller, go here, to select location. The buyer protection program is found in the User Agreement section.

Otherwise, its take a percentage of each sale and put aside to cover the occasional dispute and successfully sell more than you lose.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.