How easy is it to dispute a payment where you have to refund money back to the customer?

hanna_lama
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone! I sell items on OfferUp and on CL and Facebook . . .  I have a customer that has a non-profit company and wants to buy A LOT of merchandise from me. They have purchased items from me once before and want to buy more BUT they are really adamant about using PayPal ONLY. I don't mind using PayPal but my concern is that I get scammed. Where they purchase all these items from me and pay me via Paypal and then dispute the charges later on where I'm forced to refund the amount. Am I crazy?  If I'm crazy then fine BUT if I'm not what can I do to prevent this or protect myself? Help . . . .

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hanna_lama

Read up on Seller Protection:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#seller-protection

It's not 100% protection, only under certain conditions. Sellers generally are not protected from SNADs and have to accept a return before a customer is refunded. You are protected from INRs when you can provide tracking number confirming delivery or unauthorized transactions if your transaction meet the coverage requirements for Unauthorized Transaction. Its difficult to predict whether you'll be scammed because the transaction(s) is still in it's early stages. Ultimately, if you really do not feel comfortable selling to this buyer, then don't go through with the transaction(s).

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.