Help with receiving payment from stranger.

goodlife770
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to sell my phone to a guy and he wants to pay through Paypal. How can I ensure I won't be scammed. I mean if he is not going to refund the money even after receiving the product.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@goodlife770 

What you need to worry about now is even receiving payment for your phone and not end up being tricked into shipping the phone out without ensuring that you are paid. Some folks will send you a fake PayPal payment email saying they've paid when they really haven't because people just believe emails and not check their PayPal account for the money.

PayPal also doesn't ask you to pay a third party, buy a gift card, or use a third party processor IN ORDER TO see your money in your account.

In terms of the buyer disputing their payment back, well, that comes with the territory of selling online because a stolen account could be used and the account owner dispute with their credit card, they claim phone you sent is damaged before or during transit, or not working so you have to be prepared to deal with that if not, then I would recommend that you not sell what you can't afford to lose. Or, do Craigslist and strictly cash and carry.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@goodlife770 

What you need to worry about now is even receiving payment for your phone and not end up being tricked into shipping the phone out without ensuring that you are paid. Some folks will send you a fake PayPal payment email saying they've paid when they really haven't because people just believe emails and not check their PayPal account for the money.

PayPal also doesn't ask you to pay a third party, buy a gift card, or use a third party processor IN ORDER TO see your money in your account.

In terms of the buyer disputing their payment back, well, that comes with the territory of selling online because a stolen account could be used and the account owner dispute with their credit card, they claim phone you sent is damaged before or during transit, or not working so you have to be prepared to deal with that if not, then I would recommend that you not sell what you can't afford to lose. Or, do Craigslist and strictly cash and carry.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

goodlife770
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks I really appreciate it.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.