Help! New in PayPal

yannis21
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone, 

It's my first time using Paypal and i'm selling a phone online. The buyer asked me to pay through PayPal but i'm worried after i've sent the phone with the courier he might cancel the payment and get his money back AND keep the phone. Is that possible?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Yannis

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yannis21 

Well, the buyer cannot simply cancel the payment once payment is completed. They would have to go through dispute or claims process either with PayPal or their financial institution in order to get their money back. As long as your transaction meets the basic and additional requirements for seller protection eligibility, you would be protected. Please read 11. Seller Protection Programme  or in Greek (hope I put the right greek language link) to know how the program works. You must also read the buyer protection program based on where the buyer is located as those terms also apply to you as a seller, so click "Legal" at the bottom of any page and select the buyer's country and click the PayPal User Agreement to access the buyer protection program terms.

At this point, you have to make sure you even receive payment first because some scammers try to trick you into thinking they have paid when they really haven't. And some folks have fell victim to this trick.

Scammers ask to pay with PayPal, may ask for your name (which they don't need to make payment, just PayPal email address) as well as PayPal email address so they can send you a fake PayPal payment confirmation email. If they say they paid (which they really don't have to because PayPal automatically emails you a payment confirmation when payment is REALLY sent anyway), it is best to log on to your PayPal and check if you've received payment or not.

If you're a new seller (which you are), the payment is subject to up to 21 day PayPal funds availability hold which will also show in your PayPal account if payment was really made to you. You can click on the transaction itself and see if PayPal says it is ok to ship or not.

Bottomline, if you can't afford to lose the phone, or scared for whatever reason, don't sell it.

If you do go ahead with it and there is a dispute (the buyer has 180 days to file a dispute, too), you must resolve it and respond to the dispute in a timely way to facilitate the return of your phone and refund the customer. If you get sent a brick or "the return" was sent to a different but nearby address, you can report the buyer abuse of the buyer protection program to PayPal, filing a police report and a mail fraud report with your post office and submit to PayPal. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@yannis21 

Well, the buyer cannot simply cancel the payment once payment is completed. They would have to go through dispute or claims process either with PayPal or their financial institution in order to get their money back. As long as your transaction meets the basic and additional requirements for seller protection eligibility, you would be protected. Please read 11. Seller Protection Programme  or in Greek (hope I put the right greek language link) to know how the program works. You must also read the buyer protection program based on where the buyer is located as those terms also apply to you as a seller, so click "Legal" at the bottom of any page and select the buyer's country and click the PayPal User Agreement to access the buyer protection program terms.

At this point, you have to make sure you even receive payment first because some scammers try to trick you into thinking they have paid when they really haven't. And some folks have fell victim to this trick.

Scammers ask to pay with PayPal, may ask for your name (which they don't need to make payment, just PayPal email address) as well as PayPal email address so they can send you a fake PayPal payment confirmation email. If they say they paid (which they really don't have to because PayPal automatically emails you a payment confirmation when payment is REALLY sent anyway), it is best to log on to your PayPal and check if you've received payment or not.

If you're a new seller (which you are), the payment is subject to up to 21 day PayPal funds availability hold which will also show in your PayPal account if payment was really made to you. You can click on the transaction itself and see if PayPal says it is ok to ship or not.

Bottomline, if you can't afford to lose the phone, or scared for whatever reason, don't sell it.

If you do go ahead with it and there is a dispute (the buyer has 180 days to file a dispute, too), you must resolve it and respond to the dispute in a timely way to facilitate the return of your phone and refund the customer. If you get sent a brick or "the return" was sent to a different but nearby address, you can report the buyer abuse of the buyer protection program to PayPal, filing a police report and a mail fraud report with your post office and submit to PayPal. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.