Help! I don’t know if I’m getting scammed.

KatieKat1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I am a new seller and listed an item on to eBay. Someone requested the item, and of course I accepted it. They want me to buy a gift card and add it to the package in which I’m sending the item. (They included the amount of the gift card with the item they are buying from me). PayPal emailed me and said my funds are on hold. I need to buy the gift cards and send them proof, my funds will be released to me. As a newbie, i don’t know if I’m getting scammed? I know everything scam-related involves gift cards and high amounts of money. They also said if i don’t send the gift cards, legal court actions will be against me. I just want to know if I’m getting scammed? They used the email: <removed> Does PayPal hold funds? And if so can I even view them? The only proof of this person sending me money, is the email I got from PayPal stating that my funds are on hold. If someone can help me, ASAP. That would be great!! Thank you.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_paula

Hi @KatieKat1

I really hope you have not yet followed through with this request. This is not something we would ever request you to do. When you sell an item, your buyer should pay you and then you ship the item. Even if the payment is on hold for any reason you will still be able to view it on your PayPal account. If you cannot see the payment there then you have not been paid. We would also not threaten any of our sellers with legal action if a gift card is not sent. I do hope you have not completed these steps and this is not something we would ever ask you to do. 

I hope this helps, 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

KatieKat1
Contributor
Contributor
I called PayPal the same day I posted this and they did confirm it was a scam, thank you!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.