Gumtree PayPal SCAM!!

Courtstar
New Community Member

I posted an add on gumtree selling my Micheal kors bag for £170, I received a message from someone called Jenny saying she would love to purchase the bag for her daughter for Christmas she then asked if I can send more pictures so she can send to her daughter to an email <removed>, I Sent the photos over and I received a fast reply asking for my PayPal as they would like it delivered to them, I gave her my PayPal email and she replied that she has sent the money to my PayPal with a fake confirmation email from “paypal” the email being <removed> saying they have deducted £280 which I didn’t ask for, from the woman and waiting for a tracking number for PayPal to release the money she then sent me the address which was from Nigeria and his name wasn’t Jenny but in fact John <removed>, please be carful as I nearly fell for the scam myself as the PayPal confirmation email looked legit.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Courtstar 

Been ongoing for about 12 years, all over this forum on a daily basis, glad you were not caught out.

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Courtstar 

Been ongoing for about 12 years, all over this forum on a daily basis, glad you were not caught out.

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

FarhanMKhan
New Community Member
Is there any reimbursement from Paypal in such scams which happen from the paypal emails?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FarhanMKhan 

No because they are FAKE Paypal emails and not from Paypal at all.

None of Paypals site is used for the scam. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.