Got scammed with Family and Friends unauthorized message

Horseshoes123
Contributor
Contributor

I sold 2 amazon gift cards to a guy and he sent the money via friends and family. I though I'm safe but the day after paypal sent me an email that the buyer opened a dispute because the transaction was unauthorized. Now this is clearly a scam and paypal even already refund him on a sunday, why is that? What can I do? I don't want to let the scammer win this.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Horseshoes123

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and can lead to your Paypal account being limited.

Paypal don't like sellers using that option to negate paying their paypal fee.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for 'non-receipt' OR 'not as described' as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.

However they can still open an 'unauthorised transaction' OR do a 'chargeback' (if they funded that Paypal payment via their credit card) and you would probably lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection because you accepted payment that way.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Angrybird091
Contributor
Contributor
But how can PayPal not see that the person did authorize this and it’s just trying to get over
Login to Me Too

Angrybird091
Contributor
Contributor
This happened to me too and it’s still being under review but they still took out the money out of my account. I never thought friends and family payments can be disputed but if they claim unauthorized transaction it can. I’m hoping the person loses because it’s wrong afff
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.