Getting something posted and don't want to be scammed

cherie12345
New Community Member

Hi, I'm buying something through gumtree but it has to be posted as they live in a different part of Australia. 

Paypal is the safest way i think to do this, so how would i go about paying for the item and if it doesn't get posted how do i get my money back? 

Thank you very much.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cherie12345

To answer that question I would have to copy and paste the whole section on buyer protection and put it in this thread, so your best bet is to go and read up on it so you can risk assess your transactions.

But as long as you do NOT pay using the friends / family option OR to mark it as a purchase on a personal paypal.me link then you would have buyer protection but that protection is never a 100% coverall.

However you pay make sure the item is FULLY described during the payment process (best to ask the seller to do that via a money request or invoice) so that if you have to open a dispute for 'not as described' Paypal can see what description the seller put and what you paid to receive.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

cherie12345
New Community Member

yep no worries, ill have a read on that.

I know what it is as i have had it before, but im more scared of him not posting the item so thats why i made this to see how i would get my money back and what i needed to get my money.

@kernowlass wrote:

@cherie12345

To answer that question I would have to copy and paste the whole section on buyer protection and put it in this thread, so your best bet is to go and read up on it so you can risk assess your transactions.

But as long as you do NOT pay using the friends / family option OR to mark it as a purchase on a personal paypal.me link then you would have buyer protection but that protection is never a 100% coverall.

However you pay make sure the item is FULLY described during the payment process (best to ask the seller to do that via a money request or invoice) so that if you have to open a dispute for 'not as described' Paypal can see what description the seller put and what you paid to receive.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.