Fraud

Nicola00
New Community Member
Hello I have just sold an oven for £150 but the seller has paid £400 (£300 for carriage). He was supposed to organise carriage but says as hes in a wheelchair he cant do a bank transfer so has asked me to do a bank transfer into a specified bank account for the £300. This feels wrong. What is to stop him cancelling the purchase after I make the transfer?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nicola00 

You are right, it is wrong. Never transfer money to a bank account for someone you do not know and cannot contact to verify it is REALLY them who is asking you to transfer to a bank account. Scammers pretend being a friend or family member or to buying something and when you transfer the funds to their bank account, then a dispute is opened against you and if you already send the money to the other party, you can't get that money back.

I think you should refund the money and not proceed with transaction as you are not responsible for transferring money to a their bank account. That is for them to do, not you. Wheelchair or no. Not to mention, the money could have come from a stolen account which would trigger the dispute or chargeback.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nicola00 

You are right, it is wrong. Never transfer money to a bank account for someone you do not know and cannot contact to verify it is REALLY them who is asking you to transfer to a bank account. Scammers pretend being a friend or family member or to buying something and when you transfer the funds to their bank account, then a dispute is opened against you and if you already send the money to the other party, you can't get that money back.

I think you should refund the money and not proceed with transaction as you are not responsible for transferring money to a their bank account. That is for them to do, not you. Wheelchair or no. Not to mention, the money could have come from a stolen account which would trigger the dispute or chargeback.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.