Fraud

Stlawes74
Contributor
Contributor

If someone claiming to be PayPal is asking me to money gram to a 3rd party shipping fees out of pocket before i recieved payment. Scam right?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Stlawes74 

Yes, scam. PayPal would not ask you to send funds to a third party payment processor to receive your money. PayPal will send email saying "You Got Money", with who paid and how much. No nonsensical instructions like using Money Gram or Western Union. If someone really paid, the transaction should be showing in your PayPal account, whether in your available balance or pending balance if the payment is subject to PayPal 21 day hold.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Stlawes74 

Yes, scam. PayPal would not ask you to send funds to a third party payment processor to receive your money. PayPal will send email saying "You Got Money", with who paid and how much. No nonsensical instructions like using Money Gram or Western Union. If someone really paid, the transaction should be showing in your PayPal account, whether in your available balance or pending balance if the payment is subject to PayPal 21 day hold.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Afterimage
New Community Member

same for me today. Should i try to report it to Paypal or just ignore it?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi Afterimage, 

I am sorry to hear that you are receiving these emails. Please report this to spoof@paypal.com so we have this reviewed. 

Thanks 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.