Fraud and Identity Theft

caeshapablo
Contributor
Contributor

I was hired by this person who sells musical instruments. She used my paypal account as an account detail for payment when someone wishes to buy something from her store. When we got our first buyer she went AWOL. The payment on my paypal account is in an on-hold status/ pending status. The buyer filed a claim wishing for refund and I am doing my best to refund them but the paypal account kept on having errors when I'm doing so.

My account in paypal now is suffering because of this. I also reported the person who used my paypal account to fraud the buyer. Please help me. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@caeshapablo 

First change your password so the person who had access to your account no longer have access.

Then have the buyer file a dispute and you issue a refund from within the dispute.

Here's how dispute can be filed by buyer:

1. Locate and click payment transaction in your PayPal account activity
  2. Click "Report a problem”. 
  3. Click “I didn't receive an item I purchased”.

Since the money is on hold and not available, you may need to put up the money to refund, either from your available PayPal balance or your linked bank account and then await PayPal to release the funds as below. Because when a dispute is opened, PayPal deducts the amount from your PayPal account and you'll need to add money or initiate a payment so PayPal can add the amount you owe to the total and charge your card.

Or you can mark the transaction as shipped and then ask the buyer to confirm receipt to release the PayPal hold so you can issue a refund:

If you are experiencing delayed funds availability, here are some shipping tips that may help you get your payment sooner:

• Add tracking information: If you provide tracking information from one of PayPal’s supported carriers in the transaction details page, your payment should be available 1 day after PayPal can confirm the delivery date. 

• No Shipping Info: If your item doesn't need to be shipped (e-books, piano lessons, etc.), mark the order as Processed and provide the required details.

• Buyer confirmation: A buyer will receive a notification email once you've uploaded the tracking number. When your buyer confirms they've received the item, the payment will be released immediately. (You can also ask buyer/sender to confirm receipt sending them the steps below.)

Here’s how (These options may not be available for some countries):

Seller/Recipient: Add tracking information, FIRST:

1. Click Activity at the top of the page.

2. Find and click the original payment for the item or service.

3. Click Add Tracking Info.

4. Select an Order Status: Processed or Shipped (with or without tracking info).

Buyer/Sender: To confirm you've received an item:

1. Go to Activity.
  2. Find and click the original payment for the item.
  3. Click Confirm receipt.
  4. Click Yes to confirm that you received the order.

Note: Not all purchases require receipt confirmation.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.