First time Selling via Paypal Please help me if this is a scam

KYLAI
Contributor
Contributor

HI guys,

I am selling something worth abit (over 4k aud) on Gumtree,
And this mate(Gumtree since2019) message me and asked me to discuss through Email.

Then we talked through about the product and he is okay with the price and said payment will be through paypal and the product will be ship to NZ(I am in Melbourne)
I try to ask him face to face he said hes not a local and work aboard(Oceania offshore).
He said :You will receive an email from PayPal once payment is made and do not worry about the shipping it is my responsiblities.

Now i am waiting for his next move, does it gonna be a personal payment straight available in my account before the item is collected?(If it is, this man must be trusted in me alot?), or do you think this is a scam?

I am new to Paypal payment and afraid I will lose both...(I will be having all the pictures and evidences about this deal with him and to be able to prove that the product is what it says.)

Much Thanks lads.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KYLAI 

SOUNDS VERY MUCH LIKE THIS SCAM, READ IT AND SEE.

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle or item that is collected by the buyer.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KYLAI 

SOUNDS VERY MUCH LIKE THIS SCAM, READ IT AND SEE.

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle or item that is collected by the buyer.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

KYLAI
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 
Thanks for the info,
I will see what is his next move and keep this post updated to let everyone knows my situation.

Regards.

Login to Me Too

KYLAI
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the scammer next move I have made the payments now and i expect PayPal to have emailed you by now i had this little problem with the picking up of the item,got an email from my agent that they won't come and pick up the item unless i pay them the agent commission fee first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time for the item so i add the commission fee to your selling price,check your email address folders your email provider might misfile the mail as spam/junk.check your email folders if you have been messaged yet,i sent $5,450.00 in all,PayPal said they would be holding the funds because of the excess payments of $1,050 added meant for transportation of the item and due to the fact that i emailed them about the excess payment i made,until they get the ria money transfer information from you,the item will be delivered to a church in New zealand i will need you to send the $950 to my pick up agent Headquarters via ria money transfer(this can be done from their website http://www.riamoneytransfer.com.au www.riamoneytransfer.com.au/post office, as they usually have a ria money transfer agent there),i added extra $100 to cover the ria money transfer charges which shouldn't be more that $100-100 but just to be sure i added $100, Here is my transporter agent Headquarter info needed to get the fee sent through ria money transfer AGENT INFO TO TRANSFER THE FUNDS Name: Lixiang Address :, City : Beijing State :Beijing Postal code : 100000 Country: China Please kindly email the necessary details to PayPal:the reference # which you will be given at the ria money transfer after the $950 has been sent as well as the sender's name and address used to send the money through ria money transfer used in sending the $950 so i can forward it to PayPal or better still you can email it to PayPal directly,that is fine with me as well for the money i sent to be credited into your account after they might have receive the information they needed to release the whole money in your account..And i will need you to send me your home address and mobile number in full so that i can forward it to the agent to know where the item will be collected. also with 2 really cheap levels of fake emails staging the whole thing (The <removed> pay pal logo image couldn't even show up in the email, broken link) So yea people just beware of these stupid pigs.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.