Facebook Messenger Fraud

stephw56
Contributor
Contributor

On 22nd Feb 2019 i was a victim of an online fraud,my cousins Facebook was hacked and the fraudsters persuaded me to transfer  over £1000 out of my paypal account,i have been hounded by paypal collections,they wanted their money back,now they have got it back and i'm £1,000 out of pocket.
I have reported it to Action Fraud,it is still pending,the Bank weren't at all helpful.
Has anyone got any ideas what to do next? i just want my money back,i feel so stupid and i would hate for it to happen to anyone else

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Mandyb1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, have you had any luck getting this sorted, i am being hounded by paypal and westcot after same thing happened to me

Login to Me Too

stephw56
Contributor
Contributor

no, I haven't got anywhere, Paypal was chasing me for money, they were no help, neither was the bank or facebook, I ended up borrowing the money and I'm now in debt, I never heard anything back from action fraud.
I certainly would not fall for it again 

Login to Me Too

Mandyb1
Contributor
Contributor

so unfair. Surely the person who the money came from are the ones who should be doing the fighting for their money back as without their account getting hacked we would not be piggy in the middle. I even asked paypal if they were sure it was not a money laundering scam but they refused to believe it could be.

Login to Me Too

stephw56
Contributor
Contributor

it is all those stupid things on facebook, people are asking for it,
all I can say as an excuse was that I was tired and I thought I was doing my cousin a favor,
when I got up the next day I had been inundated with messages, from the people whose money it was asking me for their money back,
when I contacted the bank, they said the account had been closed and there was nothing they could do

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.