Ebay scam

sabadia
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I’m currently in France. I posted an add on eBay selling my iPad. A user contacted me to buy it and made the transaction to my PayPal account. The money was on “pending” status so I delivered him the iPad because I thought that the money will be charged into my account once the buyer received the iPad. So then, the user emailed me saying that he had to buy some Toneo first coupons of 250€ each to validate his account because he was on Switzerland and I was in France, and that I needed to do the same in order to receive the money. Then a PayPal address emailed me the same thing, like they were waiting for me to give them the coupons codes. I refuse to do so because it seemed very strage to me that I had to spent that amount of money. So I emailed the buyer explaining him that I wanted my money because he already received the iPad that he command and that I wouldn’t pay for the coupons. But he insisted that I must buy the coupons and send the codes to the “PayPal” account for me to receive the payment. What can I do about it? I’m desperate because this person has my iPad and I don’t have the payment. Please help me.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sabadia

Sadly thats one of the risks of agreeing to an 'off Ebay' sale.

If the funds never showed in your paypal account balance then none of the transaction was done using paypals site so you had no protection.

You were sadly scammed by spoof messages that were faked to look like paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sabadia

SCAM.

They may buy on Ebay but they use an anonymous or hijacked Ebay account and DO NOT have a Paypal account so they can't use Ebay checkout. They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Or once you have sent and they know you have become a victim they may again send you 'fake' Paypal emails stating they sent too much and you have to refund BEFORE the funds are released to your balance or you have to send a payment to validate your or their accounts.......all rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

sabadia
Contributor
Contributor
Ok... that’s horrible. Is there anything I can do to get my money or to have my iPad back?
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sabadia

Sadly thats one of the risks of agreeing to an 'off Ebay' sale.

If the funds never showed in your paypal account balance then none of the transaction was done using paypals site so you had no protection.

You were sadly scammed by spoof messages that were faked to look like paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.