Ebay sale back in August disputed as "Unauthorized transaction" from buyer.

adroitful
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

I sold an item on Ebay back in August of last year. Everything was fine with the purchase until a couple of weeks after the purchase. The buyer contacted me and said that he had erased the hard drive or something inside of the video game console(It was a Playstation 3).  The buyer admitted it was from something he did. I did everything I could to help the buyer fix the issue then I quit hearing from him. I assumed he had fixed whatever the issue was. Then, come the middle of December, this buyer opened a dispute with his credit card company saying "Unauthorized transaction". I called paypal, and they said it should be an open/shut case and gave me the funds back. Fast forward to January and the case is still open, they decided to take the funds back while the case was still open. I called them up again, and they said that the tracking number is no longer valid. It had been so long since the purchase that the tracking number is no longer in USPS system. Now, despite having printed my shipping label directly from Ebay and through Paypal, they claim I am no longer eligible for seller protection(Even though It was just fine when this all first started as far as i'm aware). They then asked me to provide "proof of shipment". Which, since I printed the label through ebay, all I got was a confirmation e-mail for payment and a confirmation of package pickup to be shipped out. I sent them everything I got from this. Well, the credit card company ruled in the buyers favor for whatever reason. Now, Paypal is refusing to honor their seller protection even though I did everything they asked for me and according to their own website "Unauthorized transactions" from the buyers credit card company are covered. I can no longer call paypal as my account has been sent to collections because I have been trying for months to get this sorted out. It just forwards me to the collection company. I have been asking for someone to call me since back in January, but no one from paypal will call me. Live chat isn't much help. They just say they need to have their bosses call me. Which, they never do. I'm getting tired of all of the collections calls and letters and really just want to get this all sorted out. It's been a pain in my side since December and I am about done with Paypal as a whole and probably will never sell anything online ever again. Out of the 6 or 8 things I sold on Ebay, 3 of them were scam attempts from buyers and had cases open. I just really want help here. Can't seem to get any from Paypal. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@adroitful 

Perhaps try calling as a PayPal Guest in regards to your account/dispute:

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US, then select PAYPAL GUEST option.

PayPal seller protection is not 100% guarantee, PayPal never claimed it was and in some situations, coverage is dependent upon conditions like the availability of the tracking info at the post office. Do you have the register tape acceptance scan receipt for the shipment with the post office when you mailed the package, by any chance? I get a receipt for EVERYTHING and put it in a shoebox for a rainy day, especially for selling stuff. Even my coffee. I think you should really read the seller protection policies and then regurgitate it back to them if you are still eligible. I think there is a clause in it that if the chargeback took so long that made you not eligible that PayPal will still cover you so you have to go through it with a fine tooth comb. Click "Legal" at the bottom to access the seller protection policy. Push comes to shove, open a complaint at BBB.org PayPal San Jose to reach PayPal executive office of escalations for satisfactions.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

adroitful
Contributor
Contributor

I tried doing exactly what you said. They won't connect me to anyone in charge. Been on the phone now for 2 hours trying to get this lady to let me speak to someone higher up. That tracking number came FROM paypal. I just printed the label off. There is no receipt. The only thing I have is the confirmation of purchase of the shipping and the confirmation number from when they picked up the package. I have supplied both already. 

Login to Me Too

adroitful
Contributor
Contributor

The issue is that this was a tracking number that was automatically uploaded and they had already given me the money back because the tracking number was valid back in December when I called. It still shows the transaction as eliglble for seller protection. I thought that by printing out my own shipping labels, this would be less of an issue. Since I was shipping to the address from Paypal and immediately sent over to them.  I just don't know what to do. I can't pay them the money and I can't sell anything online to help pay for it because of all of this. I can't even get help with my account because it's been sent to collections when I was already told I was covered on this transaction back in December. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.