Ebay buyer claiming they did not authorise the purchase 3 months after the sale

Calvertelaine
New Community Member

Hello,

I don't know if anyone can help me with this. I sold an item on Ebay in October of last year to the value of £68. this was shipped to the buyer and I have heard nothing since. A couple of days ago I received an email from PayPal which states that the buyer is claiming it was an unauthorised transaction. In order for me to move this forward I have to enter the tracking number (even though he has obviously received the goods after all of this time), but I do not have this after all of this time. I have tried looking at my sold items on Ebay to get the tracking number but that information is only available for the last 60 days. I have requested the data on earlier transactions to be sent to me but I have been told by Ebay this will take up to 14 days, which means that PayPal will automatically deduct £68 from my account.

I cannot find any method of contacting PayPal. I have tried using their message service but received no response.

I am concerned that this person has found a way to scam money out of people so I will contact the police if I have to. Has anyone had a similar experience or does anyone know how I can contact PayPal?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Calvertelaine 

You should always keep tracking numbers for at least 6 months as buyers have up to that long to open disputes.

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, but seller protection includes providing a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to the buyers paypal registered address at the time of payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.