[E-Commerce] Fraudulent Buyers (stolen Paypal accounts, credit card fraud)

wickl
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I'm working for a small e-commerce business, and we have a severe problem with fraudulent buyers. This is now the second time that we have a massive increase in chargebacks because of "Unauthorized Access". Today, I spend some hours analyzing our database and logs. I found out that this is one single person. Within two weeks, he bought multiple products with different accounts, different PayPal accounts, and various IP's. However, there is a clear pattern:

• PayPal is refunding all those orders after a few days because we receive disputes with the claim of unauthorized access
  • he always buys the same stuff (!)
  • Same Browser information (User-Agent) and the same device fingerprint. Our website creates a fingerprint-based on the computer and browser data for security reasons.
  • He tries it multiple times. For example, within a 15min timeframe, I can see database entries telling me that someone tried to buy the same product with different Paypal, different IP's, etc. This is because sometimes, PayPal blocks the payment request. Then he tries again with a new PayPal account and new IP
  • The IP addresses are mostly from Australia. I think he is using a VPN service or something like that. However, most times, his IP's are not detected as a VPN by security systems. He is using good stuff here.

I hope you understand what I mean. It's clear that this is a massive fraud. The loss is quite high as he always orders expensive products.

I don't know anymore how to prevent this. What can I do? I believe that he is buying the PayPal accounts on some dark-net websites. So there is a damage for the real owners as well.

Does anybody have experience with that?

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

dexusa
New Community Member

The worst part is that PayPal is not refunding the PayPal fees for such frauds. What a nightmare.

What I suggest is that you have two PayPal accounts and you block international buyers.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.