Downpayment instant reimbursement

Madhatr75
New Community Member
I sold a large item for pickup, a Arcade Machine. We agreed on price. The customer PayPal sent me for a downpayment of $200 to take the listing offline, as he would pick it up 2 weeks later as they are from another town. Within 10 minutes of the transfer the buyer changed his mind and requested a refund. He said to issue a Refund. I called PayPal and they advised that he request a refund from his end. He has been pressuring me to refund his money. I have read of a scam where people will send to much money and request a refund of the extra money. Then they would say that their account was hacked and they never made the purchase. In turn PayPal would return the money to the buyer. The refunded money from the seller would be lost. So in my case if this is what is happening the seller will get the downpayment back from me, and if the purchase was flagged as fraud then they would take the fraudulent payment back. So in my case I would lose the downpayment and the refund payment. I would be out between $200 - $400. What do I do?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi Madhar75,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your buyer, that's definitely concerning. For clarification, did you send a separate payment back to the buyer, or did you refund the original payment? If the original was refunded, then there shouldn't be any risk. If you sent back a separate payment, this would pose a concern, and is consistent with the fraud trend you mentioned. Hopefully the original payment was refunded and the transaction was resolved amicably.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.