Does Paypal protect customers from fraud?

dbemailuk
New Community Member

Hi, Hope someone can give me any information on this, are we protected from fraudulent purchases on ebay?

I sold an item on ebay but then had a charge back claimed due unauthorised use of credit card, this was upheld by the credit card provider, so this is now a fraudulent transaction.

After speaking to Paypal I have now been told by Paypal that the matter was now closed, am I not protected from fraud by Paypal?

I am now out of pocket by £155.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dbemailuk wrote:

Hi, Hope someone can give me any information on this, are we protected from fraudulent purchases on ebay?

I sold an item on ebay but then had a charge back claimed due unauthorised use of credit card, this was upheld by the credit card provider, so this is now a fraudulent transaction.

After speaking to Paypal I have now been told by Paypal that the matter was now closed, am I not protected from fraud by Paypal?

I am now out of pocket by £155.

With chargebacks, the credit card co. decides the case. PayPal's hands are tied. If the CC refunds the buyer, they charge PayPal and you are liable. And if the  buyer claims the charge was unauthorized and that is determined...case is closed.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

dbemailuk
New Community Member

So we are not protected from the fraudulent use of credit cards?

I hope there is a way I can request to never receive payment from credit cards.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dbemailuk

That depends on many factors all listed in Paypals seller protection policy for you to read and then risk assess your transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.