Dispute case solved unreasonably.

wy27
New Community Member

Hello, I need some help here. The story is a bit complicated but basically, I helped Person A receive payments through Paypal from Person B.

Person A was selling concert tickets and asked me to receive payments from Person B through Paypal. I decided to help however, Person A is a scammer and thus, Person B filed a dispute against my account, thinking that I am the seller. I have already contacted Person B separately and explained myself and she knows that I am not the scammer too so she decided to help me by giving me evidence to prove that I am not the seller to send in to Paypal. However, the final verdict Paypal gave was to refund Person B. However, the money in the account is mine and the money that was given to me from Person B was already given to Person A. I'm able to appeal but I'm not sure how else to convince PayPal since I already submitted all the evidence. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @wy27,

I'm sorry to hear that you acted as part of what turned out to be a fraudulent transaction. When acting as a go-between for two people, you become both the buyer in one transaction and the seller in another, even though the goods don't originate with you. Basically it's as though you were a merchant whose supplier didn't come through. A merchant in that transaction assumes the risk and any associated loss. It's exactly the same in a one-time casual sale.

It's also important to understand the reasoning why a person would need you to be their intermediary. Did they want you to accept payment because they're trying to skirt the rules of PayPal? Do they have a limitation on their account that prevents them from receiving payment? If so, you're assisting with circumventing PayPal's User Agreement, and that puts your account in danger. PayPal's rules are in place to protect our members, and circumvention is risky both to you and to PayPal. I would recommend against doing anything like that, both to prevent further financial loss, and to prevent account limitation.

I'm very sorry that you've had this experience. I hope the loss wasn't a large one.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.