Dispute Paypal refund scam

Russ1972
Contributor
Contributor

I listed an item for sale on Ebay, which was blocked by Ebay soon after the item was sold as there was a scam involved with the buyer's Ebay account.

Following this, in my Ebay account there is a payment received (less fee) but the payment is on hold. I assumed the transaction had not gone through from Ebay. Ebay informed me not to post the item to the seller.

I have since had notification from Paypal of the buyer requesting a refund of the payment.

How can I be sure that this is still not part of the scam?

If I do refund the money, how can that proceed if the payment is on hold? Will I incur a change in relation the Paypal fee? (I would hope not as I have been on the receiving end of a scam).

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Russ1972

No scam. You are basically undoing the transaction. You still have your item and was told not to ship, just refund the money (minus the flat rate portion of the PayPal fee that PayPal charges to refund) and relist and sell again if your accounts are not banned. 

To refund, locate the payment transaction, click it, then click "Refund this payment". Deduct the flat rate portion of the PayPal (20p?) from the full amount of refund and mention this in the refund notes. What they gonna do? Dispute 20p when it is not your fault?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Russ1972

No scam. You are basically undoing the transaction. You still have your item and was told not to ship, just refund the money (minus the flat rate portion of the PayPal fee that PayPal charges to refund) and relist and sell again if your accounts are not banned. 

To refund, locate the payment transaction, click it, then click "Refund this payment". Deduct the flat rate portion of the PayPal (20p?) from the full amount of refund and mention this in the refund notes. What they gonna do? Dispute 20p when it is not your fault?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Russ1972
Contributor
Contributor
I selected the option to refund, i had no other option or option to amend the amount. Lo and behold i have been charged a paypal of £38 plus a chargeback fee of £14!! I have done nothing wrong yet I'm being charged £52. How can this be right?
Login to Me Too

panzak83
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, although I am in the buyer's position. I did a purchase on the 21st of December then right after, eBay's customer service mailed me to open a case cause the seller had issues and the product was removed from eBay, so my order was canceled. I did open a case but the amount of the purchase still got removed from my card on the 24th,and now I can't process it cause eBay considers the case as "closed", same with PayPal when I contacted the resolution center. They both answer me back that the case ended on my benefit. Well how is this on my benefit when I didn't get the item nor the refund? And there is no topic to refer for the same case as it's considered "Closed"?????

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.