Digital product purchase scamming

inflex
Contributor
Contributor

Hoping for some help here.

I sell a single software product via PayPal for the electronics repair industry.  The product is akin to a plan-viewer, but for electronics products; a bit like AutoCAD is a viewer for CAD files.

Periodically I have situations where people purchase this software under the assumption that it comes with a collection of plans/schematics/boardviews, which it does not (Any more than AutoCAD comes with Raptor engine plans).  

On the sales website, I  explicitly note that "No schematics or boardviews are supplied with this product", and the buyer has to further agree to this twice before the PayPal purchase button becomes available.... however, in spite of this, I have recently acquired a dispute; lodged approximately a month after the original purchase, claiming that they did not receive the licence code for the download (licence codes are emailed and also displayed on the success page).    In spite of it being nearly a month (website says, "If you've not received your licence in 5 minutes, email us"), I immediately provided the data and buyer proceeds to attempt to install the software to the point where they now want the boardviews/schematics, to which I advise about the various internet locations to obtain such files.

In spite of this, PayPal has awarded the dispute to the buyer and given them back the money.  So now they have a licence, they have the software installed, and they have their money back and I feel like I'm shouting to a brick wall with PayPal who doesn't seem to understand.

I'm strongly suspecting that the initial 30 day wait was for the webserver log files to be rolled out, so that there would be no official record of the buyer's purchase & download (thankfully i keep my logs for quite a bit longer ).

Feeling frustrated;  have hundreds of people using this software in the industry with no issues, but now and then you get the scammer that comes along and effectively exploits things.   

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.