Digital Content Scam - Left without payment and product

Calum17
New Community Member

Just an FYI to other sellers who may sell digital content via eBay and PayPal. I recently sold a digital code for an Xbox Game via eBay and took payment via PayPal, shortly after the code was sent I got an email from  Pay Pal saying the transaction was made without the users consent, The payment automatically refunded and despite a dispute from my end I am now without the money for the product. As it was a digital code it was sent via Email and has been used so I am now also without the product. 

I would highly advise anyone using PayPal to sell digital codes to keep an eye out for this, Apparently, since the product is not physically shipped you are not protected as a seller in this case. Being a user of PayPal for many years I was disappointed to learn this the hard way so hopefully, this will allow someone to not face a similar fate to me.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Calum17

If you read the small section on seller protection when you start to use paypal to sell you will see that virtual / digital content have no paypal protection for sellers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.