Did I get scammed on this invoice? HELP

KasemQ
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I’m new to to PayPal, and don’t understand the system. I was supposedly paid 135 dollars for an in game item. The guy sent me an invoice and it said the item, $135, the subtotal 135$, then amount paid -135$, and then total 0.00. What exactly happened here?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KasemQ

If it was marked as an invoice then its probably a scam doing the rounds as its been sent by a buyer and altered to look as though he has paid you.

Signs its a scam are >>>

its an invoice BUT sellers send invoices not buyers
marked as paid
marked as gift
says payment won't show in your balance for eg 24 hours
can't be chargedback.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send anything until the funds are showing in your paypal account balance.
Paypal payments are more or less instant.
Paypal will never tell you that a payment can't be subject to a chargeback if thats what scammers are still putting on invoices.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KasemQ

If it was marked as an invoice then its probably a scam doing the rounds as its been sent by a buyer and altered to look as though he has paid you.

Signs its a scam are >>>

its an invoice BUT sellers send invoices not buyers
marked as paid
marked as gift
says payment won't show in your balance for eg 24 hours
can't be chargedback.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send anything until the funds are showing in your paypal account balance.
Paypal payments are more or less instant.
Paypal will never tell you that a payment can't be subject to a chargeback if thats what scammers are still putting on invoices.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

KasemQ
Contributor
Contributor
So is there a way to dispute to PayPal and get my money I was supposed to have back? I have evidence of him saying he was going to pay... and what can I do about it?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KasemQ

As you sent the item before being paid there is nothing paypal can do unfortunately.

They can't force someone to pay you   Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CrzyDave
Contributor
Contributor

Don’t know whick shipping company you used, but, I would contact them and redirect/intercept shipment and have it sent back to you.

Also, that was internet fraud, maybe mail fraud.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CrzyDave

It was a digital / virtual game item, no postal service was use according to the O.P.

Secondly they are probably in another country so 'national' laws would not apply.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.