Concerns about selling laptop on Gumtree through PayPal

Charmaine156
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I am selling a laptop on Gumtree for around £150 pounds. Every time I've gotten a reponse from someone on this site, they always want to pay through PayPal, and receive the laptop through postage after paying. Today I got a message saying the buyer is fine paying more for postage, and sent me their email as well for an invoice/payment request. Googling the PayPal address gave not a single result.

I'm not sure how to go about this to prevent fraud or false chargebacks on my PayPal account and/or bank account. Are there any tips on how to secure the money I receive and that I will be able to keep this after the product has been sold?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Nick

Hi @Charmaine156,

It's always a red flag when they are offering you more for shipping. The key thing here is to make sure you receive a goods or services payment (in your PayPal account). Even if the money is on hold, we'll put it in your PayPal account and you'll see it there when you log in on www.paypal.com. Also, you must ship to the address in the transaction details to be eligible for Buyer Protection. You can learn how to avoid common scams here. I hope that helps!

~Nick
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.