Complaints to PayPal in their handling of disputes

mcqueenster
Contributor
Contributor

I need to make a formal complaint to PayPal regarding their method of dealing with disputes and claims. Anyone figured out to do this? Paypal appears to make this very difficult to do.

It appears from the resolution centre that I can only engage with PayPal if I have a dispute with another a buyer or seller, but not make a complaint directly to PayPal around the way their policies are applied.

My most recent dispute demonstrates a large hole in their customer buyer/seller process. Throughout this recent dispute I had minimal involvement and decisions made that I could not provide detail to. (the dispute process in the resolution centre is very restrictive on who and what information can be displayed)

Be wary of selling anything using the paypal payment system. Ebay provides the selling platform but it seems they do not need to get involved in any disputes. The dispute can go directly to Paypal , and it can be escalated from a dispute to a claim on the same day without any communication with the other party in the transaction. It is only at this time the other party is notified of the issue.

Some clever paypal users have figured out that they can receive an item, decide they don't want it any more, record it as "not as described" provide no more supporting information and say they have posted it back to the seller. All without any involvement or agreement with the seller.

All Paypal needs to reverse the payment transaction is to see a proof of posting. No checks are made with the seller that the item has actually arrived and is in the condition it was sent, or even if it was the same item that was sent. Many items are on ebay as no returns unless significantly not as described. Paypal appears to ignore this when managing the dispute process. The buyer should be responsible for confirming why the item is not as described and communicate this to the seller before requesting a return. Paypal doesn't check for this and provides a refund automatically, leaving the seller with a negative paypal balance and potentially no item, a damaged item, or a completely different item to that sent.

Has anyone else has similar PayPal experience?

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59

Mark-M3
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal are just so incredibly biased against the seller.  It's easy to see why so many people try it on with the whole chargeback and refund thing.  PP are also misleading over their deadlines. They actually allow till midnight on the quoted day, so effectively making it the day after. 

Login to Me Too

mcqueenster
Contributor
Contributor

My experience is exactly the same as your, PayPal demonstrated a bias against the seller. I have never been called by Paypal to help resolve a dispute however they are very quick to call when there is a question regarding any negative account balance they have created because of thier bias.

Login to Me Too

Jayriggs1989
I had an unauthorized charge of June 26th 2020 file a dispute instantly , the closed it saying it was a normal transaction , now it’s July 28th 2020 and they’re telling me I still have yo wait longer for my money until august 8th for my $300.00 because I just created a dispute on the 16th of July ????? No , pp made the mistake of closing an authentic REAL FRAUD CASE ! I want my money and then PayPal should give me money for the ignorance on their end , no I’m a High rated seller and just RANDOMLY had 2 return request for items not as described when these items are DESCRIBED TO THE T WITH EVERY LITTLE DETAIL ! COVID-19 has destroyed PayPal ! When I get my money , I’m closing the pp account I’ll never use the SCAMPAL AKA PAYPAL as any kind of payment ever again ! You have become a fraudulent Payment all together ! It’s sad ! You used to be amazing now you telling me my account charged for something I didn’t purchase isn’t fraudulent and then ever with 100% seller and buyer feed back I send 2 items that are damage ???????? No you FOOLS I sell internationally , and I’m as honest as they come and very up front about EVERY ITEM I’ve ever sold ! So once you get MY MONEY AND TRY TO TAKE MONEY FROM ME , I will hire do some to get mine and more
Login to Me Too

indialogue
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal **bleep**. I had a fispute that kept being extended every couple days. There's no way to contact customer service unless you want to wait 2+ hours on the phone. I finally got my item ( no thanks to Paypal). It went on for four months. I'm closing my account today.

Login to Me Too

Theruins
New Community Member
Same here! 185 unauth chg on my account and paypal makes me jump thru hoops only to say DENIED because the ‘seller’ gave them a tracking number! What the ever living F?! They should know fake shipping numbers are common! Now i have to write to make an appeal.... so incredibly time consuming and frustrating! I feel like i have zero protection for fraudulent transactions by paypal and i am done after this. I will use my credit card that actually does protect me from fraud... or set up apple pay. INFURIATING!!
Login to Me Too

oakharbordeb
Contributor
Contributor
I agree. I foolishly bought something on Facebook using PayPal - which was even more foolish because I thought I was protected. Apparently the scam artists out of Vietnam mean more to PayPals bottom line than legitimate customers. Fooled me once, never more. I gave up in my pursuit of a resolution after spending way too much energy and time.
Login to Me Too

Trmaccol
Contributor
Contributor
I just went through very similar and persevered but it was ridiculous the time and energy. I did everything they asked and then it was something else they wanted. I kept appealing and finally won my case but they make it incredibly hard. Great for the scam artists though. Many people would have given up but I was so angry I didn't but most don't have the time.
Login to Me Too

Bubuzmom
I also bought something advertised on Facebook, (turns out it was from scammers in China), and PayPal denied my dispute because I'd originally complained that my order hadn't been shipped. Once I involved PayPal, the order miraculously shipped...days later. When it finally arrived, the box crushed on one side, the product was NOTHING like the ad. When I went back to PayPal with this information, I was informed that the dispute was denied because I'd received my order. I filed another dispute about the same order because it was fraudulent, only to be told the case was closed. If Al of the sellers above are claiming that PayPal automatically favors the buyer and we buyers claim that PayPal favors the seller, who else thinks PayPal is pocketing the disputed money??!?
Login to Me Too

Meegzz1
Contributor
Contributor

The Complaint via Email : I'm going to put it in words because this platform won't let me post the email address which says a lot " <Removed>"

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.