Claim opened for item not as described after 65 days

margo_66
Contributor
Contributor

The buyer purchased a purse on 12/03/2019.  No contacts or message of item being defective or not matching the description.  On 02/09/2020 buyer sends a message that purse wasn't as described and is defective and requests money back.  I denied the request and buyer opens a claim with PayPal.  What the possible outcome might be?  Are there any actions to stop buyers from false attempts to claim money after using the item for over two months?  If PayPal decides in buyer's favor, can I appeal the decision?  Thank you.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@margo_66 

A buyer has up to 180 days to open a paypal dispute for whatever dispute type.

This is the same as most credit card companies give buyers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

margo_66
Contributor
Contributor
And what if buyer just submitted a false claim? What evidence, if any are being evaluated? How can reasonably prudent person have an item for over two months and then report its being defective or not as described? Why PayPal puts such a trust in buyers but not in sellers?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@margo_66 

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute it is always one persons word against anothers.

So paypal does tend to favour the buyer BUT the buyer normally has to return the item back to the seller first (trackable to prove delivery) before you have to refund.

Sadly thats one of the risks of online selling. Buyers complain that they have to return a faulty item at their own expense so no party ever really wins, if you want 100% safety then use cash on collection only.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.