Claim in my favor, then a Claim again?!

jondigo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

We sold (2) social media accounts. Everything was logged from Whatsapp to Emails.

The transaction was made on Whatsapp live and the Buyer claimed the analytics were different 3 days after the transaction. (which was false)

So we won that claim after sending all documentation proving we provided the correct analytics and that the Buyer received the virtual goods. (He actually confirmed this by opening the first claim as "the item was not as described".

Now, 2 days after we won the claim, the started up another claim pretending "Unauthorized transaction". Paypal froze our $1500 again!

What is that? I mean, we won the case, the buyer proved he did receive the items and now pretends it was a "Unauthorized transaction" ?!

My only guess is that after trying his luck with Paypal, he contacted his bank or credit card to tell them it was not him.

But why are my funds on hold again? I should not have to wait for this. Does that mean the frauster's bank believe him and chargeback, Paypal will get the money from my account?

How is that a Seller Protection? I'm upset by this after spending hours to provide documentation to win my case... gosh.

Also, I received the email about this "new claim" and it says I can add documentation to help Paypal, etc... but I don't see that option at all under the Resolution Center. All I can do is wait, though I can prove even more that he took over the accounts as the emails associated with them (gmail) have his phone number on it (well just the last 2 digits, but it's clearly him)

Please advice!

John

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jondigo 

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, so your best bet is to go and read up on it to make sure you were covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jondigo
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think it as anything to do with the IP as anybody would be able to defraud Sellers & Paypal by using a simple VPN before paying the invoice, switch it back and say "Hey it was not me!".

Also, Paypal clearly mentions they have to "work" with the Buyer's bank to win our case.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jondigo 

In that case it would have been a chargeback and not an unauthorised payment.

With a chargeback the buyers bank/card issuer makes all the decisions as the dispute is done directly via them.

But the same applies to you, even if the buyer is refunded then you may get compensated under seller protection if you met all the criteria in that policy.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jondigo
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

Okay, thanks for your insight.

I still wonder how the buyer could do a claim for "The item was not as described" and write 3 paragraphs about it, 3 days after delivery... then open another claim (same case) for "Unauthorized transaction" 2 days after we won the first claim?

I also tried to upload more evidence (as per their email) under the Resolution Center but all can do is view the Case History since January 29th.

Otherwise, this is the information provided by Paypal:

"The buyer has filed a case with their financial institution for a payment of $1,5XX.00 USD you received on Jan 25, 2020. We've opened a case on January 29, 2020 so that we can collect more info and resolve this with the buyer's financial institution.

Step 1: The buyer disputes a PayPal payment directly with their financial institution.
When a dispute is filed, the buyer is asking their financial institution to return the payment to their account.

Step 2: The financial institution returns the payment and contacts us.
After the financial institution returns the payment to the buyer's account, they let us know about it and ask us to provide information about the transaction. We open a case and let you and the buyer know the case has been opened in our Resolution Center.

Step 3: We ask you to send information.
If you disagree with the buyer's dispute, you have 10 days after we notify you to send us either proof of shipment, proof of refund, or other proof. Proof can be sent through our Resolution Center or emailed to XYZ. If you don't have proof to send, you can accept the buyer's dispute.

Step 4: We'll review your information and send it to the buyer's financial institution.
We'll review the information and complete the financial institution's processing paperwork. This step can take up to 30 days. During that time, if you come across additional proof you can send, please send it to us and we'll include it in the case review.

Step 5: We'll let you know if we can cover the dispute under Seller Protection.If we can't cover the dispute because we didn't receive the proof that was needed for Seller Protection, we'll remove the disputed amount from your PayPal account. However, depending on the information you send us, we may be able to dispute the case with the buyer's financial institution and get the payment back. This can take up to 75 days. If we're able to recover the payment, we'll close the case in your favour and return the payment to your account.

Step3: Since I provided proof during the first claim (The item was not as described), it seems I have no more option to add more.

Step5: It seems I already had the Seller Protection since I won the first claim. That why I don't understand why they put an hold again on my money.

Anyway, I guess I will wait and see. Maybe call them on Monday to see what's going on and if I can send them more information. I just noticed they have an email to add information.

Thanks for the help, again!

Login to Me Too

jondigo
Contributor
Contributor

I lost the case... how can that be possible?

I told already that it was the fraudster that contacted his bank to reverse the transaction. This is confirmed now in the Paypal email:

One of your buyers opened a case for this transaction. This means that the buyer has asked their financial institution to reverse the money for this transaction.

We want to help you, and are disputing this case with your buyer's financial institution.

Here are the case details: 

• Buyer's name: Joshua <removed>
  • Buyer's email: 
  • Buyer's transaction ID: 66512983D3329612R
  • Your transaction ID: 2E394020FH300463L
  • Invoice ID: INV2-LMHZ-LMM3-NA6J-ZAMZ
  • Transaction date: January 26, 2020
  • Transaction amount: $1,595.00 USD
  • Disputed amount: $1,595.00 USD

$1,595.00 USD has been debited from your PayPal account because of the following reason(s):

• Transaction for Digital Goods are not protected.

In addition, you have been debited a $20.00 USD chargeback fee.

Since when the Digital Goods are not protected?! Oh well, **bleep** off Paypal. Will stay away from it and use Escrow.com only from now on.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jondigo 

10 What are examples of items/transactions/cases that are not eligible for PayPal seller protection?

1. For:
    1. payment recipients with their registered address outside the UK: digital goods and licences for digital content.
    2. intangible items (including digital goods and licences for digital content) and services.
      Where PayPal in its own discretion may make certain intangible items (including digital goods and licences for digital content) and/or services eligible from time to time, unless otherwise agreed in writing with PayPal, the following will always remain ineligible:
      1. Items equivalent to cash (including, without limitation, stored value items such as gift cards and pre-paid cards).
      2. Payments made in respect of financial products and investments.
      3. Donations.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.