Chinese company using PayPal Commerce Platform committed fraud, how do consumers get money back?

rahollywood
Contributor
Contributor

A Chinese company spoofed and stole money for items never shipped, and since then their site has been taken down as fraud. Because PayPal processed the payments through this fraudulent website, they are responsible for reversing the charge.  The charge was processed through PayPal but did not involve a PayPal account in any way.

After several hours of searching I have found ZERO support for customers defrauded by companies using PayPal Commerce Platform to process credit cards so any advice is appreciated!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rahollywood 

You can either contact PayPal customer service to open a dispute, providing the receipt ID number found on the PayPal email receipt OR contact your card issuer to dispute the transaction. Warning: You can only file a dispute with one or the other, but not both at the same time.

Try to contact PayPal first, if no one is responding due to Covid-19 or its taking a long time, forget the PayPal dispute entirely and call card issuer or log on to your card's account online and click on the transaction to file a dispute.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

rahollywood
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for responding.

I can't file a dispute with PayPal because it asks "Report an issue by selecting a transaction" and though the transaction was processed using PayPal Merchant Solutions, it was not done through my personal account so the charge does not appear in the list and can't be selected.

Because the website was a spoof, I emailed spoof@paypal.com and provided the Transaction number.

Thanks again and if I'm not following the right steps please advise.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.