Check if friends & family or bussines payment.

MikeyAxius
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, so I sometimes get hired to make art and bussines sales end up just getting me scammed (chargeback 150$ last week) so how do I check if someone sent a payment as friends & family instead of bussines payment? I know people tell me to check if fees apply (only on bussines supposedly) but as seen in this screenshot: https://gyazo.com/296e028f0275122f5585c6401e973699 no transaction fees were applied but he still managed to open a dispute and win it (aka it was a bussines payment), voiding the "check if fees were applied" statement.

Please let me know how I can tell the difference.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MikeyAxius 

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and you risk your Paypal account being limited if you do so.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for 'non-receipt' OR 'not as described' as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.
However they can still open an 'unauthorised transaction' OR do a 'chargeback' (via their card issuer) and you may well lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MikeyAxius 

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and you risk your Paypal account being limited if you do so.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for 'non-receipt' OR 'not as described' as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.
However they can still open an 'unauthorised transaction' OR do a 'chargeback' (via their card issuer) and you may well lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MikeyAxius
Contributor
Contributor

Alright guess I'll stick to bussines and get scammed approximately 50% of the time since it's impossible to prove sale of a virtual service for a free-lancer. What bothers me the most is that Paypal also makes me pay the 16$ fee associated with disputes so not only do I lose income, I lose money I already have.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.