Chargebacks for unauthorized charges for charitable donations

fstevensTCH
New Community Member

We're a small cat shelter that accepts donations using a Paypal donate button on our website.  In the past few months, we've had fairly frequent small amounts "donated", and then charged back as unauthorized.  Since the amounts are not standard donation amounts (which are usually $5, $10, $50, $100, etc), and the listed customer is not a regular donor or in our records at all, I'm assuming that they are at least mainly stolen card numbers, and someone is "testing" the card number.  

It's frustrating enough that these all sync to Quickbooks and we have to deal with the clutter of a payment and then a reversal, but it's really annoying that we are losing the amount of the Paypal fee for these.  There doesn't seem to be a way to dispute these chargebacks and getting Paypal to refund the fees to us.  Any suggestions, beyond discontinuing accepting donations this way?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fstevensTCH 

Since PayPal is no longer refunding fees on refunds, they should at least refund fees on unauthorized transactions such as these now. In their email that they sent out about enforcing this policy, they said "This policy will not apply to duplicate transactions, voids and most disputed transactions." So I guess come tomorrow, this policy will kick in and hopefully they will start refunding fees for disputed transactions.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.