Chargeback

Ayrton5
Contributor
Contributor

I sold an item back on ebay in November. I keep proof of posting slips until I receive feedback (which I have always taken as proof of delivery). Having received the positive feedback I disposed of the slip. Now the buyer is claiming some sort of fraud, and I have been charged-back by Paypal. Demonstrating the positive feedback is apparently not enough and I've lost my money. Indeed the case is "closed", post-haste, there's no comeback allowed from me.

This can't be right can it?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ayrton5

Proof of postage is just proof you posted it not that the buyer received it.

Positive feedback doesn't count as it can be left for the wrong seller by mistake and things can change post leaving that feedback.

What would count is trackable proof of delivery of the item to the buyers paypal registered address.

A buyer has up to 180 days to file a dispute so you need to keep info for at least that long.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ayrton5
Contributor
Contributor
Information about this from PayPal is scarce but they have suggested it is some sort of bank fraud rather than a failure to deliver. My inability to prove posting and or delivery is simply being used as a means to prevent me getting seller protection. I'm done with PayPal and eBay now, I trade honestly and the pair of them have done nothing but shaft me at every opportunity. The irony for PayPal is that they have already lost most if not all the money we are arguing over here. I'm doing a refurbished and have bought over £500 worth of stuff in the last few days and have passed over PayPal as a payment option. Doing the right thing by me over as little as £10 would be largely cash neutral to them already but they've blown it as far as I'm concerned. Thank you for taking the time to respond, BTW.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ayrton5

My inability to prove posting and or delivery is simply being used as a means to prevent me getting seller protection.

A chargeback is done via someones card issuer, if you lose then paypal will reimburse you as long as you met all the criteria of seller protection.

Its up to you how you post but if you can't prove delivery of the item to the registered address of the buyer at the time of the transaction then you will lose.

Paypal gives you seller protection, you negated that protection, your choice really.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Ayrton5
Contributor
Contributor

Ok well it's not as long as 180 days but it's 4 months. Not a dicky bird from the guy via eBay indicating any problem, only a bit of positive feedback to give any indication of his happiness or otherwise with the transaction. Maybe he left positive feedback by mistake? Well maybe he did but surely in that case he'd have contacted me to say "where's my item?"

What is more, from Paypal: "We were notified that the payment you received was not authorized or may be fraudulent. When we're notified of possible fraud, we're required to reverse the transaction." So what the hell does proof of posting have to do with it? This was not a thing worth stealing, not an item worth stealing, this is just a guy pulling a fast one.

You've made it quite clear that I am in breach of the terms and conditions for Seller Protection, so I fully understand that Paypal's legal position is absolutely watertight. Their moral position however seems to be at least a little more questionable, so I'll just vote with my feet. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ayrton5

No problem, doesn't matter to me a bit if you use paypal or not, I just replied responded to try and help you understand what happened happened.

Whether I agree or disagree with that policy is irrelavant really.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Ayrton5
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not seeking a vote of confidence. I'm simply making the point that on my tiny little micro level, Paypal's high handed approach is already costing them money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.