Chargeback

ryan5973
Contributor
Contributor

A buyer on eBay is trying to do a chargeback on an expensive item one month after they received it via FedEx.

"Your customer reported that they didn't receive a refund they were owed. We've placed a hold on the transaction amount until this case is closed.

The buyer has filed a case with their financial institution for a payment of $1,802.00 USD you received on Jan 29, 2020. We've opened a case on February 26, 2020 so that we can collect more info and resolve this with the buyer's financial institution." 

I never returned anything to the buyer, nor did the buyer contact me through any means whatsoever about returning the item received. I'm not even sure why the buyer is trying to do a chargeback and PayPal isn't clear about the reason either. Based on the information I've received so far, it appears this is a case of chargeback fraud. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I’d assume that PayPal would require they show proof of return.  

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Michael

Hello, @ryan5973. Thanks for taking the time to post your question/concern here in the PayPal Community Forum. Having to deal with a chargeback can be a concern. I hope the following information is helpful.

Based on the information in your message, it appears your buyer contacted their bank or card issuer and told them they were supposed to get a refund, but that didn't happen. That's based on the sentences that say, "Your customer reported that they didn't receive a refund they were owed." and "The buyer has filed a case with their financial institution..."

It's possible there was miscommunication between the buyer and their bank or card issuer, and they might have a different concern, but it came across as a dispute for a refund that wasn't received. I understand you did not receive a message from the buyer before the chargeback was submitted, but have you been able to contact the buyer through eBay's messaging system or through the email address they used to send the payment via PayPal? That might help to get things sorted out.

However, PayPal won't make a decision on the case since we have to follow whatever the buyer's bank or card issuer decides when it comes to issuing a refund. We'll do our best to fight the chargeback and we'll provide you with an update when the case is worked and/or closed.

I hope this is helpful in terms of clarifying things. If you need further assistance, please give us a call (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page), or send a Facebook Private Message (click Send Message at https://www.facebook.com/paypalusa), or send a Twitter Direct Message to @AskPayPal.

Thanks for your patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Michael

PayPal_Michael

Login to Me Too

ryan5973
Contributor
Contributor

According to the case history, PayPal sent an email to the buyer about this chargeback and the buyer is moving forward with this chargeback.

"Email sent to buyer - PayPal"

There's no "miscommunication" nor can this be used as an excuse for a $1,802.00 chargeback. 

Returns on eBay should be processed through eBay, that way, there's a clear record of the return with a tracking number for the shipment. It's safe to assume that the buyer presented no evidence whatsoever of a return to the their financial institution or PayPal except for a claim. That evidence obviously would have been presented to me.  

PayPal has enough evidence already to substantiate this buyer is trying to fraud me, fraud PayPal or their financial institution. It's obscene that PayPal is penalizing my account under these circumstances. These types of business practices allow buyers to commit chargeback fraud with impunity. I will never sell anything of this value on eBay again (or likely anything at all) and use PayPal to process the transaction.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.