Chargeback MISSING REFUND OR CREDIT

Cornee275
Contributor
Contributor

Received a chargeback based on "MISSING REFUND OR CREDIT", so the buyer claims he needs a refund or credit.

- I have sold an item on ebay. I am a private seller and the item has been sold in auction format.

- The buyer has made a chargeback with his financial institution based on that they did not receive a refund or credit.

- The buyer never asked to return the item, the item has therefore never been returned. So there is no basis for a refund.

I am only willing to send a refund to the buyer if he returns the item to me first.

- Paypal asks me for my refund policy information or other information that shows that the refund is not necessary.

I am a private seller and do not have a return policy.

Advice on handling this matter would be very welcome.

Thank you

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Cornee275,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve received a chargeback. It sounds like in this situation, the buyer is indicating that there was an agreed-upon credit or refund that wasn’t received. You should have the options to accept liability and provide a refund, or disagree. If you disagree, you can also provide compelling evidence to dispute the buyer’s claim if you have any.

For more information about chargebacks, please take a look at this article on the PayPal site in the Security section, and this article in the in the PayPal Business Resource Center.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cornee275

On Ebay it doesn't matter if you are a private or business seller, when you list an item for sale there is an option to select 'no refunds' etc before you submit your auction, so every seller 'has' a refund policy. They are asking for yours.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Cornee275
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I understand that  the buyer can return an item when its faulty or not as described, for a refund. So that is the return policy.

Item is described and arrived in perfect condition

In this case the buyer is asking for a refund/credit by chargeback. and basically wants a refund without returning it. Title of chargeback reads "Missing refund/credit". Like I am suppose to have send a refund to the buyer somehow....

I am only granting a refund if the buyer returns the item to me first.

Advice on handling this, much appreciated?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cornee275

A chargeback is not a paypal dispute, it is raised directly via the buyers credit card company.

That card company make all decisions and paypal can only pass on information to them on your behalf.

If the card company find in favour of your buyer then you will have to refund, if you don't then paypal will put your account into negative and limit it until you pay them back again, if you don't then they sell the debt to a collections agency to recover.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Cornee275,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve received a chargeback. It sounds like in this situation, the buyer is indicating that there was an agreed-upon credit or refund that wasn’t received. You should have the options to accept liability and provide a refund, or disagree. If you disagree, you can also provide compelling evidence to dispute the buyer’s claim if you have any.

For more information about chargebacks, please take a look at this article on the PayPal site in the Security section, and this article in the in the PayPal Business Resource Center.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.