Case Decided in Buyer's Favor.

ecco1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer within the list of suggested community results...

I recently received a notification from PayPal, that an open case had been decided in the buyer's favor.  The buyer received his item in a prompt manner, within a few days of ordering - tracking showed this as well.

He opened a case stating that he had not purchased said item.  Paypal just closed the case and emailed me the following:

We received notice from the buyer's financial institution that Case xxxxx has been decided in the buyer's favor. However, because you’re a valued customer, we’re not debiting your PayPal account for the disputed amount.

I'm not trying to scam anybody, and if I legitimately owe someone money because I did something wrong, I'll reimburse them.

But I'm thinking this person either got his cc stolen and the thief charged a purchase from my ebay store, or the buyer just didn't want the item after he purchased it through paypal.

I'm just wondering if this happens again, and paypal decides to debit my account, do I have any recourse or way of stopping them from debiting my account?

I guess this is a non-issue since paypal decided not to debit my account, but I'm just trying to prevent this from happening in the future, perhaps on a more expensive transaction.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ecco1 

It means that PayPal decided to cover you under seller protection for unauthorized payment claims because your transaction met the basic and additional requirements of the program. Or offered a courtesy refund due to your good account standing.

If this happens again and PayPal doesn't cover you, that means your transaction was not eligible or they decided on their sole discretion not to cover you and you are liable. There is no way of stopping them per current user agreement terms, unless you closed your account right now and not use PayPal no more. Otherwise, you'll just have to accept there are risks to conducting transactions online and self-insure to cover the occasional liability in exchange for access to millions upon millions of PayPal users.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ecco1 

It means that PayPal decided to cover you under seller protection for unauthorized payment claims because your transaction met the basic and additional requirements of the program. Or offered a courtesy refund due to your good account standing.

If this happens again and PayPal doesn't cover you, that means your transaction was not eligible or they decided on their sole discretion not to cover you and you are liable. There is no way of stopping them per current user agreement terms, unless you closed your account right now and not use PayPal no more. Otherwise, you'll just have to accept there are risks to conducting transactions online and self-insure to cover the occasional liability in exchange for access to millions upon millions of PayPal users.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

ecco1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.