Cancelling/rejecting a payment

maj33
Contributor
Contributor

Someone paid me inadvertently.

There is a 10$ fee associated with it.

The money is not mine, but "issue a refund" option, which is all I can see, informs me that the fee will still be charged to me.  How can I refuse this payment, as it's not my money and I'm not ok with paying 10$ to issue a refund.  

Keeping the money is not acceptable because (1) it is not mine and (2) it will likely result in a charge back later on that I would be responsible for the whole amount.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@maj33 

What's the payment status? Does it say "Completed"? Is it asking you to Accept the money first? Because then you can decline the money. Otherwise, you're stuck paying the $10 or deduct the fee amount from the amount received and put the different in the amount to refund. You may want to discuss this with the sender before doing it...come to an agreement that you will be deducting the amount in PayPal fees.

An option might be to ask sender to open a dispute and issue a refund from within the dispute. Its not clear whether this will also refund the fees. I've read people say that agents say to do this but documentation say otherwise. Very vague.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

maj33
Contributor
Contributor

The status is "completed." There was never an option for anything else.  It was "completed" from the time I was notified (when I became aware of the notification at least).  It never gave me any form of option.

So I will have to pay $10 because someone else made a mistake?  There is no way that can be true.

Is there a way to challenge it with my bank or something?  I have not withdrawn funds (because they are not mine).  When I have clicked on "issue a refund" it says the difference will be taken out of my bank account (the $10 that is).

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.