Cancelled friends and family payment

lcamp2206
New Community Member

I have recently sold a pair of shoes on facebook marketplace and the buyer purchased using family and friends. Being relatively knew to this, I naively didn't realise that this could be an issue. 

I have now sent the item to her and provided her with a tracking number. The buyer has now cancelled their payment and I can't resolve the issue because of them sending via family and friends. 

My question is - is there any way that I can request for this money back or report the account to PayPal as a scammer? I have reported the account on facebook so that they can't scam other people in future but would really like to see paypal try to do something about this.

Would appreciate any advice! Thank you. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lcamp2206 

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and you risk your Paypal account being limited if you do so.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for non-receipt of item OR item not as described as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.

However they can still open a dispute for an unauthorised transaction OR do a chargeback (via their card issuer) and you may well lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lcamp2206 

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and you risk your Paypal account being limited if you do so.

A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for non-receipt of item OR item not as described as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.

However they can still open a dispute for an unauthorised transaction OR do a chargeback (via their card issuer) and you may well lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.