Can a person who pays you with their PayPal balance through friends and family file a chargeback?

daegeun
Contributor
Contributor

If a person adds money to their PayPal balance through their bank, waits out the 3-5 business days, and then sends that money using their PayPal balance through friends and family, can they still file a chargeback through their bank and get that money back?

1.) Let's say they add $200 to their PayPal balance using their bank.

2.) After 3-5 business days, $200 is added to their PayPal balance.

3.) Some time later they decide to use that $200 in their PayPal balance (not their card or bank that is linked to their PayPal account) and send it using the Friends and Family option.

Can that person still chargeback the $200? I ask because they technically paid PayPal $200 first and then they are now sending that money as a gift to someone else. So the transaction was done with PayPal and not the person who is receiving the money as a gift.

I understand that if you send the money as a gift using the bank account or card that is linked to your PayPal account, then you can do a chargeback. But what if you do it this way?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.