Can a buyer that paid Friends and Family using a credit card dispute and win the claim?

marcos323s
New Community Member

Recently, i sold a piece of software for 2500. The buy paid in two seperate transactions and the paypal account seemed a little odd. I know paypal doesnt cover Friends and Family but can his bank charge back the payment and cause me to lose the funds?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Teito23
Contributor
Contributor

You can attempt to file the chargeback and if the bank rules it as unauthorized transaction you can auto win the case and get your money back cause even if the seller has protection or not if your financial institution rules it as unauthorized you would win the case. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_DerrickD

Hi @marcos323s,

We appreciate your post, and to answer your question, it is still possible for the buyer to file a chargeback with their card issuer. While it is true that Family & Friends payments are not covered by PayPal, it's still possible that the buyer's card issuer may cover the transaction. In the event a chargeback is filed, we'll reach out to you through email with the details. Moving forward, it may be helpful to note that PayPal offers chargeback protection for payments received under Goods & Services. 

-Derrick 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.