Can I see if a person who sent me money used buyer protection?

Mithridates
Contributor
Contributor

My question is in the title. When I receive money, is it possible to tell if buyer protection was used? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mithridates 

If you receive a friends/family payment then normally there won't be an address on it + no fee + no new seller hold.

However be careful as.......................

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and can lead to your Paypal account being limited.
A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for 'non-receipt' OR 'not as described' as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.
However they can still open an 'unauthorised transaction' OR do a 'chargeback' (if they funded that Paypal payment via their credit card) and you would probably lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection because you accepted payment that way.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mithridates 

Buyer protection is automatic as long as the buyer did NOT pay using the friends / family option.

However its against paypal rules for a seller to request payment for goods that way and would render there seller protection useless in the event of a chargeback or unauthorised dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Mithridates
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass Ok, so asked the other way around: do I see the if they use friends and family option? 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mithridates 

If you receive a friends/family payment then normally there won't be an address on it + no fee + no new seller hold.

However be careful as.......................

Its against Paypal rules to accept a family / friends payment for selling goods and can lead to your Paypal account being limited.
A buyer would not be able to open a Paypal dispute for 'non-receipt' OR 'not as described' as they would have no Paypal buyer protection.
However they can still open an 'unauthorised transaction' OR do a 'chargeback' (if they funded that Paypal payment via their credit card) and you would probably lose as you would have no Paypal seller protection because you accepted payment that way.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Mithridates
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your help!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.