Can I get Paypal to get rid of a chargeback fee?

darkrage6
Contributor
Contributor

Recently I had a seller claim through Paypal that an item purchased from me on Ebay was done without the sellers permission and there was a transaction of $148 shown so I think someone might've stolen the sellers identity or someone used their account to make purchases without their knowledge.  Anyways I decided to issue a refund since the item I had sold wasn't worth all that much anyways, then I put in six bucks to get rid of the negative balance in my account and I figured that was the end of it, until tonight when I got an email from Paypal saying I was getting a chargeback fee, had I known that was a possibility I would not have been so quick to issue a refund.  Now i'm wondering if there is any possible way to get Paypal to waive the chargeback fee so I don't have a negative balance anymore?  Cause I really don't think it's fair that i'm out 20 bucks because of circumstances totally out of my control.  so I clicked on "report a problem" for the original transaction for the item and i'm hoping somehow that will get Paypal to waive the chargeback fee.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@darkrage6 

If you had a chargeback fee then it was an unauthorised payment done directly via the buyers credit card company as they used that to fund the payment.

So the card company makes all the decisions and also charges the fee so nothing paypal can do about it unfortunately. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.