Buyer is threatening dispute unless I refund his downpayment. - Freelance writer

Markvincent777
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I need help/advice on how to proceed with my predicament.

I'm a freelance writer and last Nov 7, I entered into a signed-contract with a buyer (digital document with signature). 

Deliverable: A series of articles totalling 17,500.
Due date: Nov 15, 2019

We agreed on a 50% downpayment for the writing commission, which client has already paid for via paypal. The remaining payment was to be paid upon receipt of deliverables. 

In our contract is a "late submission fee" clause, which states that a penalty fee amounting to 10% of the total payment will be deducted for every 24-hour day that the deliverables our late.

I've been late for 2 days. Our contract also has a Termination clause that provides for a 15-day notice and a written termination agreement.

Now, my buyer is threatening to file a dispute despite our contract if I do not refund the 50% downpayment.

What can I Do? I'm only using a Personal and NOT business paypal account. I don't live in the US.

Desperately, 

Vince

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Markvincent777, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum!

The country location and PayPal account type will not affect you in this case so please do not worry about that. However, the buyer is eligible to open a dispute on a transaction they have made through PayPal. If this happens, you will be requested to provide evidence supporting your side of the claim. 

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Markvincent777
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for replying, Siobhan! I know the dispute process is for me and my client to reach an amicable settlement. However, if things to escalate to a claim, will our contract the he agreed to and signed and eventually breached/prematurely terminated hold any water? How can i properly prove delivery of my digital goods, in this case, word files? Thanks, Vincent
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

I am not sure, to be honest. The claims are manually reviewed and it will depend on the evidence provided. 

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Markvincent777
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks, Siobhan. I appreciate it very much.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

You're welcome! Please do not hesitate to reach out to us via phone, email, Facebook or Twitter if you need any further assistance. 

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Markvincent777
Contributor
Contributor
How do I reach you via phone, email, or Facebook?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

To locate the contact number for your account please log in to PayPal and select "Help" at the bottom of the page. On the next page, you will see the option to call us and email us. The email us option takes you through the secure message centre of your PayPal account and this is also where you will view any replies from PayPal. 

Our Facebook page is - https://www facebook.com/PayPal

Our Twitter page is - Twitter - @AskPayPal

Thanks

Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Markvincent777
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Siobhan,

I wonder if you can help me with this continuing case. The dispute has since been escalated to a Claim by the Buyer who continues to demand for a refund (the claim was based on a Item Not Received). I responded to the claim by reiterating the contract that we both signed and agreed to (and Buyer's breach of contract, by early termination and filing dispute) and made it a point that the Buyer did not give me enough time to deliver what was ordered. I attached our signed contract with my response. I also included in the response my offer to the client which he has repeatedly refused in our private chats and in our dispute conversations.

My offer was for him to accept/pay for the articles (digital goods, yes?) I've already finished and delivered to him. Then, I will be happy to refund my remaining balance (about $22 of a total 150). He has refused to accept 2 out of 3 of this articles on the basis that they were submitted late (again, late submission was provided for in our contract).  After I submitted my response, the Buyer changed the reason for the Claim as a Significantly Not As Described with these Item issues:

• Damaged
  • Different
  • Other
  • Incomplete
  • Damaged
  • Other

I don't understand why it has so many descriptions...help?

Then, my response options are as follows:

• I'll issue a full refund. The buyer can keep the item(s)
  • I'll issue a full refund. The buyer must return the item(s)
  • I'll issue a partial refund 
  • I've already issued a refund
  • I disagree with the claim. I'd like to submit additional information

The first option is just not possible for me.  
My preferred option is to issue the partial refund.
However, is the second option even possible for a written article (which is under Digital Goods)?
Has my options/possible strategy in this case changed? Are digital goods covered in SNAD cases?
I've been reading the Paypal's Buyer Protection on SNADS:

An item is "Significantly Not as Described" (SNAD) if it is materially different from what the Seller described on its website or in the item listing. Here are some examples:

• You received a completely different item. For example, you purchased a book and received a DVD or an empty box.
  • The condition of the item was misrepresented. For example, the description when you bought the item said “new” and the item was used.
  • The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic.
  • The item is missing major parts or features which were not disclosed in its description when you bought the item.
  • You purchased three items from a Seller but only received two.
  • The item was materially damaged during shipment.

An item is not Significantly Not as Described (SNAD) if it is materially similar to the Seller's item listing description. Here are some examples:

• The defect in the item was correctly described by the Seller.
  • The item was properly described but you didn't want it after you received it.
  • The item was properly described but did not meet your expectations.
  • The item has minor scratches and was listed as used condition.
  • The item was listed as used condition and you picked it up in person after examining the item.

With how our business relationships went down (and IF digital goods are covered in SNADs), won't Buyer's case be under:

• The item was properly described but you didn't want it after you received it.
  • The item was properly described but did not meet your expectations.

???

Please advise...I'm at my wit's end

Login to Me Too

PamTamburello

Sorry to see you are suffering the same fate as I have at this time of the year it surely comes as a hit. I had a SNAD case opened buy a buyer on Ebay and if Paypal are anything alike, they WILL side with the buyer. 

I lost $745 and my item. I hope you get the answers and the outcome you deserve. There is ALOT of injustice surrounding these companies. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.