Buyer insisted on using paypal and ask me to use giftcard to pay her courier

mirrorvanya

I am totally new to PayPal. The thing started that I posted an ad to sell my iPad. Someone immediately messages me to send my ad to his wife and which I did. She replied to my email very quickly and several emails later we had a deal.

Then it became strange when she insisted to use PayPal which is normal. but she said she is going to send me $100 more to pay her courier to come and pick up the iPad. It sounds like she just going to pay straight away (it was like 1 am in the night). And asked me to buy a Google play gift card for her courier as payment, insisted she was busy and doesn't have access to her phone, and ask me for help to do this.

Despite my confusion and questions, she replied that I can hand over the gift card to the courier and I will also receive the confirmation from Paypal as PayPal is also aware of this. That I have nothing to worry about I will receive the payment altogether once she made the payment.

So... does PayPal has this way of handling transactions? Or is my suspicion actually prevent me from fraud?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mirrorvanya 

Yes, your scam radar saved you. Congrats. No ‘real’ buyer ‘pays’ extra. PayPal recommends choosing your own shipping service so you get proper proof of delivery. And PayPal certainly does not ask you to buy gift cards to pay a third party.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mirrorvanya 

Yes, your scam radar saved you. Congrats. No ‘real’ buyer ‘pays’ extra. PayPal recommends choosing your own shipping service so you get proper proof of delivery. And PayPal certainly does not ask you to buy gift cards to pay a third party.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.