Buyer claims charge back after 7 wks

Michelle_Parker
Contributor
Contributor
I've received a claim from buyer after 7 weeks of purchase that he didn't do the purchase after no communication from this buyer very out of blue actually,kept the item even though my address is on back, I offer returns,has made other similar purchases in feedback.I've heard PayPal favours the buyer even though evidence shows he made the transaction & kept the item he apparently didn't authorise r PayPal still more likely to believe this buyers remorse of a lie as the purchase was made from his account.He hasn't contacted eBay at all about his account being hijacked.I sent a message after purchase to him as well.He doesn't claim that he didn't receive the item so he has it and is denying he made the purchase but didn't contact eBay or me at all.Will Paypal believe this lie.I've even messaged him saying I'll refund if he sends the item back to me this weekend with tracking.Thank you for your help in the matter.
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Michelle_Parker 

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, so your best bet is to go and read up on it to make sure you were covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Michelle_Parker
Contributor
Contributor
The purchase was definitely made from his account he's claiming charge back with credit card holder it's all I know it was definitely made on his eBay account he has the item he's not claiming he doesn't why does he still keep it. He has a feedback score of 7 with same type items he's definitely trying to con PayPal does PayPal still believe him though. He hasn't told eBay at all if this was genuine he would have plus closed down his account. He definitely made the order kept it and is trying to get out of paying does PayPal see through this nonsense. So if purchase was done with his IP address they then favour the seller because it was.
Login to Me Too

Michelle_Parker
Contributor
Contributor
The only thing I don't have is tracking on the order though he doesn't deny he has it. If I put tracking cost on every order then other customers would be furious I upgrade personally to tracking with orders over certain amount this did not qualify so sent standard post I just know this guy is lying as his behaviour supports it personally.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rich

I'm sorry to hear that you believe this person to be lying, @Michelle_Parker. That is understandably frustrating for any merchant. Unfortunately, if they filed a chargeback with their credit card company, PayPal is not the adjudicating party and has no say in the case decision. PayPal can only provide the credit card company the information they have about the transaction. They will do their best to defend you, but the choice is not PayPal's to make.

In addition to this, it sounds like you did not provide online confirmable tracking information for this purchase. This would void any Seller Protections offered to you by PayPal. I'm sorry that I'm not able to give you the news you were hoping for. I hope that the card issuer finds the claim in your favor if this is actually fraudulent activity on the sender's part. 

- PayPal_Rich

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters always point in the right direction.
- Irish Proverb
Login to Me Too

Michelle_Parker
Contributor
Contributor
As your fully aware no buyer on eBay wants to pay an extra $4 to get tracking on a $4 item or in this case $17 they will go elsewhere. I provide free shipping which is what eBay wants me to do if I raise it then buyers will go elsewhere and my star rating would go down which would mean the amount I would pay would increase to eBay and then would need to raise the amount I charge which would be a snowball effect from one bad customer and trust and believe he was a customer. The purchase was made on his account. Of course he's conning someone do you keep items that you didn't buy or do you send it to return sender? I get parcels all the time in my box to someone else I give it back!. I offer 30 day refunds all he had to do was send it back but he can't because he's soaked the stamps and put them in his album. He also did not notify eBay or PayPal directly the purchase was made on eBay when I called them they were not informed prior which they were not happy about. If it was someone else hacking your eBay account would you not contact eBay immediately so the person doesn't continue to buy on your account. He's also made stamp and coin purchases since. So this hacker went to his ebay account purchased the same type items he purchased and only did it once? Come on! I've had my credit card hacked I knew within 1 hour! I would have known sooner but was asleep. Even eBay agreed with me that a person always calls eBay when their account is hacked. He didn't notify eBay or Paypal directly or is concerned it's still happening even his bank would have suggested to do that. He kept the item and never contacted me immediately. Every order whether a new customer or regular I notify them immediately a copy of that email goes to his email including an email when dispatchedwhy did he not reply then going I didn't buy anything no he waited 7 weeks later and only contracted his credit card company. Someone keeping the item and not contacting anyone and keeping his account open and not even changing his password you still doubt whether he's conning me? His own actions deny this. I also can't change all my listings and punish everyone else by increasing the cost of my items to include an extra $4 on postage otherwise I would lose my current customers. I'm not a big seller I'm selling off my collection which was a sad decision to make and selling them off one by one would be the only way I don't lose money. I buy on eBay too I personally wouldn't want to pay an extra $4 on postage for a small item those sellers don't sell much as it's deemed excessive and the star rating represents that and bad star rating effects the amount you pay to eBay. What you suggested I would already know that's an option and the conman knows this he's also not denying he doesn't have it but isn't explaining why he's keeping it again another tick that he is trying to get one over PayPal and myself. The purchase came from his account it would be a sad day if PayPal also sees that he purchased from his eBay account this item but rewards him by giving my money to him for it!eBay is now aware if he does this to another seller they will suspend his account and if he does it again would you doubt it too? Recap he is an absolute con man! If PayPal gives him the money then would confirm to me what other people say. Buyers do this because they know they can get away with it if PayPal and eBay don't stop them and actually reward them then PayPal seller protection really doesn't exist because the buyer doesn't deny he doesn't have the item so the tracking seems weird to me to deny me my protection when he's fighting the transaction itself not that he didn't receive it otherwise he would have done it based on him not receiving it and to deny my seller protection because of a tracking number would be silly as Paypal themselves aren't asking whether he received it or all the questions I am it's whether he purchased it or not and he did his actions support that. Sad day indeed if they reward him based on your comment I can kiss that money away. So thank you for your reply it didn't help much but confirm that they favour the buyer even when they are in the wrong! A tracking number for every customer I already know they wouldn't want to pay more I'm not letting one buyer derail everything as eBay and PayPal want you to do tracking but not charge the buyer for it! I'm competing with other sellers who are listing way cheap with free postage I can't also as extra for tracking surely you must know this. The only time I do registered and tracking is when an item is over a certain amount I did one just yesterday but their multiple purchases cover for it. One item does not. It would effect business with my other customers to even suggest. Most sellers on eBay send standard post and tracking over a certain amount. If you sell on eBay you would know this yourself as buyers find that excessive.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.