Buyer/Seller Protection

w40k
Contributor
Contributor

What happens if the seller sends me the money and I don't have the Seller's protection then he tries to claim for a refund, how can I protect myself from this?? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@w40k 

If PayPal rules in the buyer's favor, PayPal requires buyer to return the item. The amount in dispute is held by PayPal pending outcome of the case so once the item is returned with proof of delivery, PayPal releases the funds back to the buyer. That's how PayPal dispute resolution works for Significantly Not As Described.

No, you cannot. Sending an invoice with those kinds of stipulations won't work, won't stop buyer from filing dispute, and PayPal won't acknowledge it. 

https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/seller-protection

If you received a brick back or return is shipped to near by address, you have to appeal and report the buyer for abusing the buyer protection program with evidence the buyer have done this. You'll have to also file police report and file mail fraud report with your country's postal service and submit all this info on appeal through the resolution center or by calling customer service for assistance:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Or contacting via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

Don't know if that will get your money or item back but the buyer will be on record for abusing the buyer protection and they can be blocked from filing disputes in the future if they have a pattern of this behavior.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@w40k 

If a BUYER send you money (you are the SELLER) and buyer files Significantly Not As Described dispute, you ARE NOT protected unless the buyer's explanation for filing the claim is considered by PayPal to be buyer's remorse reasons (ie something that is not your fault: don't fit, don't like, as described but didn't meet expectations, bought by mistake/accident, saw it cheaper some place else, broke or not working after a certain time of use/warranties, etc). You will have to accept a return and refund customer when they return the item.

You are only protected if you meet the basic and additional requirements for protection with unauthorized payment and item not received claims.

Read the domestic buyer and seller protection programs within the PayPal user agreement for more info (select your country):

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/legalhub-full

To read buyer protection for intl customers, select your buyer's country and read the buyer protection program terms in the PayPal user agreement.

Note that PayPal do not cover certain transactions that involves certain items, like digital goods, vehicles (cars, boats, etc) so best to read the protection terms for more info.

Login to Me Too

w40k
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

I sold a miniature that's sealed in a box so IF he tries to claim refund for whatever the reason, I don't have to accept his request UNTIL I have the item back in its original condition? 

Cos it'd be really sad if he tries to file for a refund when he received the item and I have to do it immediately..   Is there anything I can do before I send the item to him? Like sending him an invoice saying that by accepting this invoice that he will not try to file for any refund eetc? 

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@w40k 

If PayPal rules in the buyer's favor, PayPal requires buyer to return the item. The amount in dispute is held by PayPal pending outcome of the case so once the item is returned with proof of delivery, PayPal releases the funds back to the buyer. That's how PayPal dispute resolution works for Significantly Not As Described.

No, you cannot. Sending an invoice with those kinds of stipulations won't work, won't stop buyer from filing dispute, and PayPal won't acknowledge it. 

https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/seller-protection

If you received a brick back or return is shipped to near by address, you have to appeal and report the buyer for abusing the buyer protection program with evidence the buyer have done this. You'll have to also file police report and file mail fraud report with your country's postal service and submit all this info on appeal through the resolution center or by calling customer service for assistance:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Or contacting via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

Don't know if that will get your money or item back but the buyer will be on record for abusing the buyer protection and they can be blocked from filing disputes in the future if they have a pattern of this behavior.

Login to Me Too

w40k
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

I see I see, in that case, I will unbox the item and document what I am sending and video record it at the post office.

I'd jolly well hate the buyer to send back an empty box and Paypal might just be like "oh that's what you sent and that's what you got so we will give the buyer his money back". 

Otherwise, I might refund the dude now and invoice him properly so I have the protection. 

Cheers for the prompt assistance tho! 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@w40k 

You can video tape and snapshot photos but its not guaranteed that PayPal will acknowledge it or have an influence on their decision. Seen it many times people send screenshots, email convos, etc and they still lose. If you can't afford to lose the item, don't sell it or use cash and pick up in person at a pubic place (in front of police station), that can only safe guard you the best.

Login to Me Too

Amavns
Contributor
Contributor
Hi yeah, sorry to put my issue in this thread as-well but I have a similar issue, I sold an item on the 17th of may. The item being a digital item ( a account) and this was sold through eBay, the buyer then opened a case 10 days later claiming they never recived the item, however it was sent on the same day within minutes of purchase, through eBay messages and I have screenshot and proof of this. After losing the case on eBay they then opened a PayPal case which has now gone on for a little over a month, I should have recived the money within a week but now the PayPal dispute keeps adding days on when I’ve provided proof that the account was sent, and the buyer is trying to scam me out of £230. If anyone’s got any advice they can give me on how to speed up the process it would be much appreciated
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.